Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's flu shot season

I got my annual flu shot on Tuesday. For some strange reason, unknown to me, I get hypomanic for at least 2 weeks afterwards. The only thing I have to watch for is cute guys. I tend to develop unusual crushes during these two weeks. I think it's kind of funny, actually. Of course, I have to get my flu shot, otherwise I will be sick all winter. I guess it's a trade off. The lesser of two evils. Not that I have any potential crush guys on the horizon, but I'm glad I know that this is how I will be for a little while. I've not found any scientific evidence linking bipolar and flu shots. If I were a doctor or a researcher, I would probably explore this further. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy feeling awake and interesting in the world. Eventually this will wear off and I will feel flat again. I hate feeling flat because all the things that I love to do, no longer seem as interesting. Then life is just getting up, going to work, and coming home to try and get some sleep.

I don't know how often I will be able to update this blog, or if anyone will ever read it. It's nice to have a place to talk about the things that are going in my head, without everybody knowing who I am.

Thanks for listening.

3 comments:

Anthroslug said...

That's a strange side effect. I wonder what would cause that to happen.

Library Poet said...

I wish I knew. Hopefully someday, some scientist will figure it out.

Anthroslug said...

I got to thinking about this in connection to something I read years back about Prozac.

In clinical trials, prozac showed only a limited number of side effects. Once it was released into the general public, it was discovered that in a statistically tiny portion of the population, it led to altering people's brain chemistry in such a way that they lost many of their inhibitions. As a result, in a very small number of people, activities such as promiscous sex, increased gambling, anti-social behavior, etc. became more common when Prozac was used.

I wonder if there may not be something similar about the flu shot for some people.